Our web page has moved to a new location.
Visit the SCC web page / click on the Campus Life Link and scroll down to the Boyd Library picture.
Today, libraries are less about what they have for people and more about what they can do for people. Our library is all about helping students succeed, supporting faculty teach, and making a difference for you and your students. Our friendly, trained staff is always ready to help with pursuing research questions, using our online catalog or databases, finding materials, and much more.
Supporting you, your students and your curriculum are what we aim to do. We can:
- offer 15-minute class orientations to the library – just stop by the circulation desk to schedule.
- place any items we have on reserve for your students – just stop by our circulation desk,
- order titles we don’t have that you need – just email us what you need,
- check reading list assignments you may give and consider an order for anything we don’t have so students have ready access to all titles (budget permitting) and
- create and deliver a custom lesson for your students on how to do focused research using the exact digital resources required for success. Students do better research and find what they need much faster using our authoritative resources.
The Boyd Library is undergoing quite a transformation in its collection and digital resources, and the book collection update is exciting and dramatic. The transformation began earlier this year when the average age of a book in the library was 1986. The collection update culled scores of outdated resources. The staff is now busy aggressively ordering books published within the last 3-5 years to fill our collection needs.
Parts of the collection have also been rearranged to form special book collections at the front of our book stacks. These help all patrons find what they are looking for in a faster and easier manner. Special collections include:
- Military and Veterans,
- The Holocaust,
- Aviation and Aeronautics,
- Large Print, and
- Classic Literature.
The Young Adult Collection, our newest endeavor, targets students that are under 20, a third of our student population.
Never before has there been such a robust expansion of our digital resources. Our newest resource, RB digital, has an all-in-one mobile app providing downloadable access to over 2,600 eBooks and audiobooks and over 60 magazines. NC Live continues to be one of our most valuable digital resources. It has expanded and now provides more than $21.4 million dollars worth of content to include 483,000,000 online articles, streaming videos, e-books and much more. More databases can be found on the Boyd Library On-line Databases page and our Course Reference Guides page with the A-Z Database list of 140 databases. Please direct students to use these 2 pages to access our databases. Currently, the links created for specific classes on Libguides are not working.
As the interim librarian in charge of faculty/staff outreach, I usually work afternoons and evenings but can adapt my work schedule to meet your needs. Just send me an email and we’ll coordinate a time to meet.
I look forward to working with you!
-Mary Ellen Cravotta, Interim Head Librarian